Old November 11th 05, 01:47 PM
MadEngineer

Default 1936 vintage rig

Hi All,

My father, W7GEG, got his ticket in 1936 when he was in high school.
Like many others, he built his first rig. His transmitter was based on
an 809 tube and had plug-in coils to switch bands. His receiver was a
three-tube regenerative, but he doesn't remember the tube types. He
worked mainly 40 meters. According to my dad, both designs were very
popular at the time.

The rig worked the first time, and was a thrilling experience for him.
"I probably wouldn't have gone into a technical career had the radio
not worked," he told me. He holds a PhD in physics.

Can any old-timers out there help me with any information regarding
what he might have built? I thought I might try to either find or
build a similar rig as a gift, or at least present him with the plans
the equipment was based on.

Thanks, 73,
Glenn Dixon AC7ZN