Old November 11th 05, 02:48 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

Default Carl Stevenson Elected To IEEE Post

wrote in message
oups.com...

From: on Nov 8, 5:55 pm

On 8 Nov 2005 17:18:20 -0800, wrote:

Carl Stevenson was elected Member at Large of the IEEE Standards

Association in IEEE news e-mailed to members today.

Just to clarify, it's actually a seat on the IEEE-SA Board of Governors - a
role that Dennis Bodson, ARRL Roanoake Division Director held for some time
in parallel with his ARRL position.

[snip]

I thought it terribly IRONIC that long-time radio amateur

Carl Stevenson, WK3C, who WAS REFUSED A NOMINATION FOR OFFICE

AT THE ARRL (an AMATEUR organization), managed to not only

GET ON a ballot of the IEEE (a PROFESSIONAL association), and

WIN! :-)

Not ironic at all.

The standards of amateurism are different. Ask Jim Thorpe.

Carl had more than enough signatures on his nomination papers.

But the Executive Committee that decides such matters though there

was a conflict of interest between his professional duties and being

an ARRL Director, and declared him ineligible to run. That decision

was not reversed by the BoD.

Some members of ARRL, particularly in the Atlantic Division, did not

agree with that decision, and made their disagreement known to the

BoD, the other officers of ARRL, and anybody else involved. Those

efforts to get him on the ballot were, unfortunately, not successful.

btw, it is interesting to note the name of Carl's firm.

Jim is referring to the fact that my company is named "WK3C Wireless LLC"
.... The simple fact of the matter is that, since "WK3C" is unique to me, it
was a simple way of assuring that there were no name conflicts when I filed
the papers to form the company with the PA authorities.

73,

Carl - wk3c