Old November 11th 05, 05:00 PM
Jerry Martes

Default Am reception

"Jeff Dieterle" wrote in message
Pardon me if this is the wrong group to find some answers. I'm using a GE
Superadio III and would like to receive 2 frequencies. AM670 from Chicago
and AM1070 from Indianapolis predominantly night time listening. I work
inside a factory and can't receive either of these unless I get near an
outside window or go outside.

I'm considering buying a tuned loop for these 2 frequencies from
http://www.amradioantennas.com/. He's quoted me a price of 85 us$
including shipping and insurance. Does anyone have experience with this
type of tuned loop antennae. I've ran RGU-6 coax from my office to the
factory roof, (appx.75ft) as I doubt if the loop would pull these in from
inside my office which is inside the factory.

Is there a less expensive alternative than the loop since I have coax
installed ?

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jeff

The 75 feet of coax between the outside antenna and the radio will also be
a capacitor shunting the signal to ground across the front end of the
receiver. That can be a serious loss of signal at AM frequencies.
An amplifier on the roof is one solution.

It is fairly easy to build a loop so that concept can be evaluated prior
to spending the $85. You are aware that the tuned loop on the roof will
require the antenna to be adjusted for each of the two frequencies you want.
Is that practical for your application?

Jerry