Old November 11th 05, 07:08 PM
Michael Lawson

Default Trade HF transceiver for Kenwood R-5000 shortwave rcvr

wrote in message
ps.com...
Just a thought about the R-5000: when I look at archives from rrsw
about the '5000 I see many people commenting about it being a good
receiver but "old technology." Except for lack of synch detection
(which can be added through an SE-3) and any type of DSP (which,

from
what I've read and heard samples of in the NRD-545, isn't a perfect
tool), what's so "old tech" about it? I still think its a great
receiver for both dxing and program listening (nice audio).

It can mean old tech in many ways:

-The receivers were last made a while ago, and are
starting to need repairs due to age.

-Unlike newer kilobuck receivers, the R-5000
needed filters added to make it a complete receiver.

-The lack of synch detection and the requirement
of needing an SE-3 to add it makes the R-5000 not
quite the out-of-the-box receiver that the newer
ones are.

-The design for the R-5000 was done in the mid
80's, and didn't incorporate newer design elements
over the course of it's run (like more memories,
better computer control, etc).

That said, for my money, it's a good receiver
that's quite capable of holding it's own in the
DXing arena. The R-5000 and the IC-R71A
commonly fought it out for the DXers buck
back in the 80's and early 90's (pre-R8 and
pre-535). The R-5000 could go with up to
4 filters and had good sound, the IC-R71A
could pick up faint DX a smidge better but
that was balanced by poor audio. (Other's
opinions, not mine; I've never tried either...Yet.)

--Mike L.

wrote:
I have a near mint Cubic 102BXA HF transceiver and matching
speaker/power supply that I would trade for a like condition

R-5000
Kenwood shortwave receiver. The Cubic works perfectly, and is in
excellent cosmetic and electrical condition. You may read about

this
fine rig he

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/798

This transceiver was built to military standards, as Cubic

provided the
U.S. Military with a lot of equipment during this period. The

build
quality is excellent, and reliability is very good. A unique

basspand
tuning system makes this rig a great performer on both SSB and CW.

Take
a look at the actual radio he

www.members.aol.com/mgaluvr/cubic102bxa

This unit comes boxed in two cartons, one for the transceiver and

the
other for the power supply/speaker, with heavy protective foam,
original instruction manual, and power cord. Microphone is not
included, but will work with practically any standard type high
impedence mike. Guaranteed not to be DOA...this transceiver is

fully
operational and very nice. Take a look at the photo....additional

info
upon request...just email me. I am not interested in selling this
rig...a trade is preferred. Thanks....Bill