Old September 19th 03, 10:30 PM
Mark Keith

"John Passaneau" wrote in message ...
But a gamma match is an un-balanced load and a 1:1 balun is not needed.

--
John Passaneau, W3JXP
Penn State University

In a way I agree, and don't bother with chokes on many of my beams.
But I have heard of some that reported some common mode problems with
the gamma match alone. A choke should clean this up, but it will be
pretty small choke for 6m use, and be effective. For 6m, beads might
be a route to consider. ?
Myself, I've never really had any trouble not adding a choke. My 2m FM
3 el has a gamma and no choke. Same for my 3 el 6m yagi. Here, they
are some of my "coldest" antennas as far as rf on the feedline. Maybe
I just lead a charmed life.. MK