Old September 19th 03, 11:27 PM
Roy Lewallen

Radio913 wrote:
Hello,

The other thread reminds me that i need a high powered, used

Bird power
meter.

Up to 1000-2000 watts, 50-150 Mhz or more, VSWR too...what

models can
you folks recommend? Preferably one that doesn't screw up the 50

ohms of the
dummy load too much! (check with an MFJ before and after putting the

meter in)

Birds are supposed to be very accurate, or so i have heard.

Any advice or Ebay links are appreciated.

Slick

From http:http://www.metroactive.com/papers/me...eat-9735.html:

I missed Creech but got to hear a tape of the band's performance two
days later on a micropowered radio station broadcasting at 91.3FM out of
Los Gatos known as Radio Free Lost Gatos. The guys in Creech guest DJed,
heckled callers and played the whole of their set along with some of
their favorite bands. According to RFLG owner/manager/DJ Dr. Slick, the
station has been operating out of a house "buried in the Los Gatos
hills" for three years. "I do it for fun," Slick says. "I don't do it
because I'm an 'anarchist.' I don't go out and say, 'Kill the cops.' I'm
positive with radio."

Slick was mum on the wattage but said that 91.3 reaches all of Los Gatos
and parts of Campbell. Slick plays classic rock, jazz and "a little bit
of Bach" when not turning the controls over to guest DJs like the
members of Creech. The station can be heard Sundays and Wednesdays,
8pmĀ*3am. Meanwhile, the next Gaslighter Theater show stars Monkey, Blue
Beat Stompers, Steadyups, Lucky Strike and Pigs in Space on Friday
(Sept. 5). As always: all ages and five bucks.

From http://www.svcn.com/archives/lgwt/05...PirateCat.html

Monkey Man stepped into the world of microbroadcasting about a year ago,
with his friend Michael Magic at Free-Radio San Jose, 93.7 FM, but had
to leave the station after some of his on-air hi-jinks went too far.
After that, he started working with Dr. Slick, whose station, Free-Radio
Los Gatos, is on 91.3 FM on Sunday and Wednesday nights from 8 p.m. to
11 p.m.

"Then Dr. Slick said I should get my own station, so I went down to
Fry's and got one of those little radio kits for, like, $30." Dr. Slick
gave Monkey Man an old one-watt amplifier, and another friend, Austin
Tatious of KKUD 104.1 in Willow Glen, donated a mixing board. Pirate Cat
was on the air.

It looks like we can look forward to a bigger signal from Radio Free
Lost Gatos (or is it Free-Radio Los Gatos?). No more "all of Los Gatos
and parts of Campbell"! Or are you be building FM transmitters and
amplifiers for sale?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL