Old December 30th 04, 05:51 AM
Rick Frazier

I got mine about a year ago after a wait since about 1967 or so. Mine came
pre-assembled, and had a horrible hum. Of course, the old multiple section
electrolytic had long ago given up the ghost. A few new capacitors and the hum
is gone, and it works quite well. Fortunately, the previous assembler had done
a pretty good job, but there were a few solder joints that I touched up
anyway...

If you are assembling a kit fresh, before you put in the electrolytic caps it
would be good to check them first, if only to save the frustration later if/when
you need to replace them.

I prefer a temperature controlled 60-watt pencil (the Weller WTCPN and other
similar models come to mind, though I currently have the variable temperature
model which I think is a WTCPS.) Having a decent soldering pencil can make it a
lot easier, as does decent quality solder (Ersin multicore is my favorite, and a
pound spool lasts for years unless you are working in an engineering lab like I
used to.)

Good Luck, it's really quite fun to fire up the Star Roamer, and hear it come to
life as the tubes warm up!

-_Rick AH7H

patgkz wrote:

Got my Roamer for Christmas. Got most of the mechanical assembly done. The
plastic nutdriver that came with it is very handy. I hope I got the
bandswitch mounted correctly, it may be turned 180-degrees but I don't think
it may harm performance.

I've been studying the soldering lesson included in the manual. One
America, two America, three America..... I hope my 200 watt gun will work
OK, but I may go down to Allied and pick up a 40 watt pencil.

Wish me luck