Old November 15th 05, 03:27 PM
Bob Bob

Default Q: Rebroadcast WWV?

Hi Steven

The URL you gave has info on the signal itself....

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/iform.html

I havent come accross software to do it but I'd suspect that it would be
pretty wasy to write a batch/shell job that outputs a series of linked
wav (sound) files) to a small transmitter. (eg using aplay under linux.
Use Audactity etc to create the raw files) You would need to pre-empt
the timing somewhat with (say) a 10 second offset. If you applications
are very time critical the async nature of your OS could lead to small
time errors.

You could also obviously write code directly to output to the soundcard.

Then amplitude modulate a very low powered TX. Make sure you dont
interfere with any other users! (Not to mention the legal aspect!) Might
be worth running the signal close to each RX with coax. AM TX's are
pretty simple. You might even find a single chip that will do it. If you
want it in discrete components, one of those chip size xtal oscillators
on the right frequency (5, 10 or 15Mhz) followed by a single transistor
biased AB and the soundcard output as the (decoupled) collector power
supply might do it. I shd describe that a little better but it really is
simple!

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

wrote:

Has anybody done such a thing? Do radios exist for transmitting the WWV
signal?

Where can I find the specs on the format of the WWV signal? What I
found initially is that it is in the 60Hz range.