Old November 15th 05, 10:40 PM
Doug McLaren

Default Q: Rebroadcast WWV?

In article ,
Bob Bob wrote:

| The URL you gave has info on the signal itself....
|
| http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/iform.html

Though of course you probably want WWVB, not WWV, and if so,
http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwvbtimecode.htm is better.

WWV and WWVB are different. WWV is what you pick up on your HF/SW rig
and is AM. WWVB is at 60 KHz and is what is used by most of the
`atomic clocks' out there, and is not meant for human listening.
Looks like it's CW (but not Morse Code -- instead, the encoding scheme
is described on the page I gave.)

| I havent come accross software to do it but I'd suspect that it would be
| pretty wasy to write a batch/shell job that outputs a series of linked
| wav (sound) files) to a small transmitter.

That wouldn't work for WWVB. Instead, you'd make a 60 KHz CW
transmitter that you could click on and off at appropriate times. It
would have to be very low power to avoid interfering with other people
around you who may be able to pick up the real WWVB signal.

| Then amplitude modulate a very low powered TX. Make sure you dont
| interfere with any other users! (Not to mention the legal aspect!)

I do believe that FCC regulations would permit such a transmitter as
long as the power was low enough, and the antenna was small enough.
(I guess that 2500 meter 1/2 wave resonant dipole is out.)

| AM TX's are pretty simple.

And CW TX's are even simpler

And the bit rate is very slow -- looks like one bit per second. You
could probably rig up something to control that via a serial or
parallel port very simply.

Could be a fun project. Not very practical, but fun

| Where can I find the specs on the format of the WWV signal? What I
| found initially is that it is in the 60Hz range.

As before, it's WWVB you want, and it's at 60 KHz. (60 Hz = your
power lines.)

AD5RH

--
Doug McLaren,
You can get there from here, but why on earth would you want to?