Old July 3rd 03, 12:51 AM
Phil Kane

(Message read and reply posted in rec.radio.amateur.policy)

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 17:00:05 -0500, Dan/W4NTI wrote:

You may want to try Mr. Hollingsworth at FCC and see what he says. He is
chief of enforcement, FCC. Or maybe he can direct you to the proper desk.

Riley (who has plenty on his plate as it is) is in the Enforcement
Bureau, not the Wireless Telecomm Bureau that issues ham licenses
and interprets the rules thereof. He would not be involved in such
before-the-fact interpretations - it's the folks in Bill Cross' shop
at WTB who issue interpretations as to whether such operation is
permissible or not, and then Riley sees to the enforcement.

Off the top of my baldy bean, if there is any taint of remuneration
or pecuniary interest, I would advise a ham client that it would not
be permissable.

Then again, the wizards and wonders at the FCC's Office of
Engineering Technology have been known to issue Experimental
licenses for things which are the equivalent of attempts to mate a
zebra with a tiger.

Contact Carl Huie who is a ham and the guy in OET who
handles such things.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel