Old November 17th 05, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ferrite rod for MW antenna

This is a good article. I've often wondered about that ferrite with the
two windings on it.
http://user.netonecom.net/~swordman/...Loops_Fig9.jpg
That is how my RDF antenna is designed. If you look at many of the old
boating RDFs, they use a stereo phone plug/jack as the interface, i.e.
two wire ends plus ground. The ferrite sits in a copper shield.

Untuned loops really make sense if your radio is decent. That is one
reason I like the wellbrook. But this paper has given me a few ideas on
how to use a RDF loop. Incidentally, the ferrite rods from these RDFs
show up occasionally at flea markets. The radio has crapped out, but
someone wisely saved the ferrite. I saw one on sale for $2 at the last
Livermore swap meet.

The Burhans papers are on vertical whips. They are really noisy for HF.
But the list of papers is impressive.

I can't find the link to a pdf of the entire article, so try:
http://user.netonecom.net/~swordman/Radio/re-loop-article.htm

Terry