Old November 18th 05, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David G. Nagel

Default Nature of "ground" beneath my house?

Reg Edwards wrote:
Many years back I once had a 10m dipole about 8 feet from the house at
cast-iron roof-gutter level. The Tx was in an upstairs bedroom. The
short coaxial line to the dipole went through a hole in the bedroom
wooden window frame.

Sunspots were at their best. On completion of the installation, much
to my surprise, I worked my very first Australian (in the antipodes
from Birmingham) and completed the log entry in exceptionally neat
handwriting.

I then went downstairs and reported my conversation with Bill in
Adelaide to my XYL. All she had to say was a brief "Your dinner's gone
cold.". So much for her deflating enthusiasm!

But the most extrordinary thing about the episode was the fact that
the bedroom 60-watt light bulb (admittedly a temporary arrangement)
came on more strongly when the key was UP and went more dim when the
key was DOWN.

I was running 100 watts from a Kenwood TS-520. The bedroom light was
not being run from the 240-volt power wiring to the TS-520. After
years of thinking about it, I have never found an entirely
satisfactory explanation.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Reg;

Reminds me of my first contact using an 11 meter J-pole antenna that I
made. It was only about 40 miles using 5 watts input AM. Not much by
your achievement but to me at the time I thought it was wonderful.

As to you lamp dimming, I do not know what the wiring capacity of you
house was but the transmitter was being fed by the same mains drop from
the street as the lamp. That is, IMO, the most likely cause of the
dimming. Just my guess.

Dave WD9BDZ