Old November 18th 05, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus

Default On-topic question for D. Peter Maus

Michael Lawson wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

::major snippage::

E-bay will also have some Teac/Tascam mixers for less cost, but

with
more primitive features than the Mackie and Alesis lines. They're
usually quite compact. Not quite as versatile as the others. The

search
engine will come up with everything you're interested in under

"Tascam
Mixer" or "Teac Mixer." Tascam is usually better build quality than
Teac. Tascam is usually better audio quality than Teac. They come

out of
the same plant, and both will meet your needs.

I had a Teac model 1 here some years ago that would be good for

what
you're doing. Sold it for next to nothing. You can find them for

about
that, now.

::more snippage::

How is Teac stuff these days? It used to be okay,
back when I was in college (~15 years ago), but
nothing the get excited about.

--Mike L.

Pretty much the same, from my experience. I still have a Teac 3340
that I use from time to time. But not often. I prefer the Technics 1600
when I need to play tape. Teac factory heads were wildly inconsistent.
Setting up a machine was maddening, especially if you were looking for
channel to channel tracking. From one channel to the next it was nearly
impossible to get a TEAC to come up to something consistent. And the gap
scatter on the 4 track heads made azimuth compatibility with other
machines flat out impossible. Tascams were better. But not by any great
leagues.

I don't think they've fielded a straight analog mixer in a while.

Of the Teac product that's current, I use a couple of disk drives,
and that's about it.

They work. Well.

But that's the limit of my Teac current product experience.

Their product lines I've recommended here are largely discontinued
products that are simple enough to service that would easily be able to
effect repair or modification.