Old November 19th 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint

Default Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands would become under the proposal.

73 de Jim, N2EY

While the principle of division by bandwidth instead of mode is basically
sound, it does look like they are trying to "sneak through" a change in the
phone bands. They need to be upfront and honest that their intent is to
widen the phone bands. My director will hear my opinion on this and I'll
probably file a comment ont the petition and if the FCC puts out an NPRM.
I'm not necessarily against some widening of the phone bands (afterall the
"Novice" segments are lightly used) but I am against the idea that they are
not bothering to state that it is part of the purpose of this petition. And
I believe that 30m is way too narrow to add a SSB segment.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE