Old November 19th 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default FAQ - Interested? Start here!

And so, on and on go the anti CB and anti-M3 ramblings (rumblings?)...
What about volunteering to serve on the RSGB or is that too hard? Just
better to crticise... And what about showing new M3s a better way to
behave.. by **example**. Nah, just gripe and snipe.. easier.

Polymath wrote:

What is Ham Radio?

Ham Radio is a technical pursuit for those who
are interested in the science of radio wave
propagation...

These CB types engage in the competitive activities
with their Cheque-Book-purchased off-the-shelf radios
in a forlorn effort to prove that they are Radio Hams.

No _REAL_ Radio Hams are deceived by such people!

etc. etc. etc.

Most (not just CB and M3) amateurs, sadly, use off the shelf cheque book
purchased rigs and accessories. Amateur radio *has* changed. I think
it was better BTW, but that has been changed by technology. The number
of intolerant people blaming the wrong things has not changed - just
become more readily readable by eg newsgroups. Again, simply the march
of technology. A good hobby would move with technology. Adapt where it
has to, and always be positive. Most of you regulars to this NG do not
adapt. You are negative and destructive (eg towards the RSGB and M3s).
Your continual sniping about both is a bore. References to eg Potty Bar
were once mildly amusing but now tedious. Specifically, someone on here
recently reported that he had been wrongly castigated by an M3 for
transmitting off channel. A clear case of where technical experience
was lacking. An amateur with the true spirit would have tactfullly
explained the facts. And that was one of the *better* comments! Most
are non-specific and generalised sniping. Yes, there are poor M3s, and
there are also poor full calls, and poor but fast CW senders and so on.
Any non-amateur who lurks across this group will quickly form an opinion
that radio amateurs are a bunch of negative misfits and the sooner that
BPL for the masses reduces their facility the better. BTW, for reasons
beyond my control I'm not a member of the RSGB. I'm not an M3 either.
Just an amateur. And why do I bother, I sense some ask. I suppose I'm
still an incurable optimist who thinks some conscience may be pricked
and this behaviour improved.. Why be here at all (Jock - one of the
better ones - asked) See my earlier reply. Come on chaps and
chapesses. Lift your game. Time is running out. Do not be like the
famous Australian amateur (a UNIX expert) who responded to accidental OT
posts to their newsgroup (I think it was then called just "radio") in
the early days of the Net by flaming. His "cleverest" flame was metres
long printouts which informed people they were on the wrong group. By
giving such a negative image to amateur radio to so many technically
curious people (surely exactly those we want) he did a great deal of
lasting damage to the amateur cause - perhaps aided in its
disappearance. He is actually a public-spirited amateur, but what an
error! Some of you are public spirited too. So for those, a plea for
more tolerance. More thinking before putting keyboard, mouth, key into
gear... Or will the replies show the absolute opposite? We shall see..
Time gets short. BPL for HF and other pressures for VHF/UHF/SHF could
arguably squeeze us all out. The efforts of this group do not help in
resisting this. They vastly aid it. Any lurkers are going to have a
most negative impression of what probably are a bunch of fine people
doing their best to hide it! "Amateur radio - so that's what it's like
- best legislate against it without delay!" Anyone got anything *new*
to add? Usenet is meant to aid debate, so have a go. But please not
the usual, broing, repetive stuff; we've read it all before... Thanks
for reading this; I now feel slightly better...