Old November 19th 05, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave

Default Regulation-by-Bandwidth Petition Filed by ARRL

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/11/15/1/?nc=1

Note how much wider the 'phone bands
would become under the proposal.
73 de Jim, N2EY

Interesting too that the petition and rules changes recommended
make no subdivision of HF band segment usage/permissions
as a function of being Novice/Tech+, General, Advanced or Extra.

If that is so, then what becomes the "incentive" for
upgrading?

Just my observation...or did I miss something..

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

I noticed the same thing and didn't know what to make of it. Perhaps they
mean to keep the same segments as now for the different licenses? I
suppose that would work as you can always use a mode that is narrower than
the max.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

they are probably trying to keep the technical 'what mode where' discussion
separate from the licensing 'who goes where' discussion. they probably
think they can win each one separately, but argue them together and there
may be too many people who won't buy one or the other and come out against
both. right now they happen to line up on the same dividing line, but there
is no practical reason that they must.