Old November 20th 05, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison

Default Loop Antennas

Fred, W4JLE wropte:
"Can`t believe you left out WCKY Cincinnati 1 Ohio."

WCKY 1530 KHz should not be omitted from any list of great radio
stations accessible to millions of listeners. I made no list. I picked
only one station I thought might best typify country music and be widely
propagated.

WCKY is 50 KW nondirectional daytime but uses a n-s directional pattern
which places a sharp null toward KFBK Sacremento, California. KFBK also
uses 50 KW but in a north-south directional pattern up and down the west
coast of the U.S.A.. This tends to protect WCKY, too.

WSM always has a 50 KW nondirectional pattern. That is now the maximum
power allowed AM broadcasting in the U.S.A. When I was a kid, another
Cincinnati station, WLW was called the "Nation`s Station" and broadcast
with 500,000 watts. It really could be heard almost everywhere.

WSM is exceptional due to programming. It originates the "Grand Ole
Opry". A network of more than 100 stations carry the program in several
countries. It also feeds the Armed Forces Radiom Service.

WSM at 650 KHz is toward the low-frequency end of the AM broadcast band
and that tends to propagate day or night better than the high end of the
band.

Dolly Parton is a regular on the Opry and that trumps all other reasons
for picking WSM as a favorite.

Best regards, Richard harrison, KB5WZI