Old December 16th 04, 06:17 PM
TW

On 16 Dec 2004 12:33:55 GMT, "No Spam " No wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:29:16 UTC, TW wrote:

On 15 Dec 2004 14:19:25 GMT, "No Spam " No
wrote:

I've searched the web but haven't found the answer to my
QRP CW question.

I'm looking for a QRP CW transmitter kit that includes QSK and
will mute a boatanchor receiver like an SB-303, SX-101, or 75S-1.

I realize that some receivers might not recover fast enough for
QSK.

I've looked at website ads for Ramsey, Vectronixs, and still
don't have an answer. They might do it out of the box; they
might do it with a mod but I haven't found the answer.

A couple watts of CW and capable of working with the WA6OTP PTO
kit.

Anyone got something like that working?

de ah6gi/4

Quoting from the Vectronics VEC-1220K 20M transmitter kit manual, page
26: "Receiver Hook-up: You may patch most receivers directly into your
VEC QRP-CW Transmitter's receiver jack without risk of damage.
Transmitter output is typically around + 32 dBm and the energy
reaching your receiver through the T/R switch is normally 25 dB lower,
or about +7 dBm. This is a very strong signal, but a high-quality
receiver with a wide AGC range can usually handle it without blasting
out the speaker! If you are able to leave the receiver on during
transmit, you'll enjoy the benefit of full QSK operation."

"This means you'll be able to monitor incoming signals--and listen to
your own outgoing signal--simultaneously. If your receiver has an
attenuator switch, turning it on will help reduce the effects of
overload. By the same token, if your receiver has a pre-amplifier,
you should turn it off. Receivers unable to limit speaker or
headphone volume over a wide range of signal inputs must be turned
down or switched to standby mode while you send."

Enough said?

not enough but thanks for the terrific info. I've heard a
Triton IV and Signal/One CX7A's concept of QSK and that's not
exactly their concept.

40 years ago, I put a pot in series with the mute line on my
SX-101A. That gave me an RF gain control that worked on receive and
let me monitor my signal on SSB and CW.

I didn't have break-in but I had the monitoring part. The QSK
experience isn't just, "If I ignore the thumping of the receiver,
clacking of relays, and the excessively loud transmit sidetone, I
can maybe make out a dit between sent characters."

QSK is the change-over happening so smoothly that it sounds like
we're transmitting using code practice oscillators in the same room
and I can control the volume and tone on both oscillators.

Where you helped is this, I can combine that transmitter with the
boatanchor TR-keyer described in the 2004 handbook and sold by
www.radioadv.com to make a device that will mute my boatanchor
receivers.

Should work. Thanks.

de ah6gi/4

I just posted a Boatanchor switching topic regarding a circuit in the
2003 Handbook based on sequenced switching for transverters. Is this
the same article, or is there a separate TR article (I had borrowed
the book from the library)?

Ted KX4OM