Old November 21st 05, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Confused & Annoyed - My new Antenna does not work - What To Do Next ?

JYAMS73,

Yes I do still have my GE World Monitor Model # 7-2990A.

They are a nice looking Radio from their era and sound pretty good.
To me the only problem is the Tuning Knob Bump from the Broken
Gear in the Tuning Knob Drive. Find one without the Tuning Knob
Bump and their are a Nice Radio.

They fit in well with the old Panasonic RF-2800, RF-2900 and
RF-2600 Radios and a few others of that time period.

But remember that they are only a 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave
Radio and unlike the Panasonics GE took some short-cuts in
the size of the Ferrite Antenna and the Plastic Variable Tuning
Capacitor.

The GE World Monitor Model # 7-2990A is a Nice Looking Radio
from that time period.

IMHO - If, GE had simply made an AM/FM 'only' version of this
Radio with a 200mm Ferrite Rod Antenna and Three Gang Air
Variable Tuning Capacitor it would have been the a Great
SUPERADIO IV with Digital Frequency Display.

hope this helps you ~ RHF