Old November 23rd 05, 03:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default PassPort 2006 ?

On 22 Nov 2005 11:33:41 -0800, "junius" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

Years ago many shortwave radio companies and dealers advertised in
Passport. Sadly, this is no longer the case and I really don't know
why. Where is AOR's ad? Where are Sony's ads (yeah, right!)? Why
doesn't Degen/Kaito advertise? It's also a shame that the
distributors which do advertise (Universal being a notable exception)
just run the "co-op" Eton ads.

AOR is still selling the 7030+ in the USA (and elsewhere) so I'm
surprised they don't have an ad in Passport. Maybe the Universal ads
were enough exposure for them.

I am glad that Eton sees fit to advertise in Passport but I too wish
the ads were less repetitive (and more informative). At least those
ads don't cause Passport to lose its focus; they don't give Eton
radios "glowing" reviews where they don't deserve one.

I have found, over the years, that Passport's reviews are fair,
comprehensive, and ACCURATE. In my opinion the yearly Passport is
worth every penny they charge.

I also find the equipment reviews valuable. I think most people would be
of the same opinion. Since they cover the spectrum of equipment people
can read through that section and get a sense of what they want to buy
and so attain a level of performance.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Over the years, I, too, have generally found PWBR's equipment reviews
to be quite useful. I've made some fairly decent purchases based on
the insight provided by Passport reviews.

As for the Eton, the ad saturation in PWBR seems hardly surprising,
given the degree to which this company shells out overall in
advertising. It seems like I'm regularly coming across their full page
ads in a variety of periodicals: Foreign Affairs, Smithsonian,
Atlantic Monthly, etc.

junius

Saw an Eton ad in the Los Angeles Times yesterday. It showed their
newest crank-up powered radio charging a cell phone & touted it's
usefulness in an emergency. It was a full-page ad if that gives an
indication of how much they are willing to spend on advertising.