Old July 12th 03, 08:46 PM
M.S. Bob

On 10 Jul 2003 21:35:28 -0700, (K0HB) wrote:

Leo Szumel wrote

I am being paid by UC to do research in general.
I would not receive compensation as a result of
this specific research, so in my mind I have
no pecuniary interest in the project.

If you are doing this research project within the scope of your paid
position, then you DO have a pecuniary interest, and Amateur Radio is
not an appropriate communications medium.

I have known hams who are employed as researchers, and the division
of what they do in other allocations (license-exempt/license-free
bands in some cases) and what they do in the amateur bands depends on
whether they are doing their own radio tinkering, or whether the work
is being developed for a research project that is sponsored (and hence
controlled or directed) by their employer.

For their radio interfaces for research projects at work, they used
non-amateur bands. Yet for projects that were purely self-interest,
self-directed, and only concerned radio communications, they did
experiements in the amateur bands (UHF and higher).