Old September 20th 03, 11:00 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:57:53 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Is anyone else being deluged with Virus/Worm email messages?

Hi All,

Almost across the board, the problem is glaringly evident, and
certainly one you choose to live with. :-)

the body count associated with those reporting:
1000 overnight last night and about 2500 the day before
over 600
MB worth. So many that E-mail drive was filled on Friday.
2000 per day

Of ten current correspondents, 8 use insecure MS products and their
numbers of incoming mails are easily 10 fold over the two that are
not. (Walt, even though you now use Agent for news reading, you still
use Outlook Express for mail).

My count stands at 0 aside from the usual load of porn that Agent
filters directly into the bit bucket (perhaps one half to one dozen a
day).

This doesn't protect me entirely. My own ISP's newserver (being a
microsoft product) decided to whack out during the Blaster attack by
resetting my cable modem every 15 seconds (through the early hours
when I simply turned off my machine). Through the attack (again, my
machine was still off), I contacted Comcast's service line to get a
fellow pitifully scripted to provide no real answers:
him: "our network is currently down"
me: "are you using MS servers?"
him: "No"
me: "What are you doing about it?"
him: "We are in contact with MS about the problem."
me: (significant silence)
him: (keys banging away) "I cannot ping your modem."
me: "The network is down. Why did you even try?"
him: (significant silence)

For several weeks afterword, their still infected server was sending
infected e-mails in my behalf, using an old address (not even in my
machine anymore after being changed from AT&T) they keep for
forwarding. How do I know I wasn't infected? I corresponded daily
through another ISP (my co-host) without a hitch through the entire
period.

Visit:
http://grc.com/default.htm
to obtain security fixes BEFORE the viruses are diagnosed through
autopsy. I've been living quite free of these problems (aside from
stupid Comcast) WITHOUT ONE MS security (sic) upgrade for 8 years.

Now, as to you having made this choice of product and enjoying the
virtues of all the marketing concepts. MS has clearly described how
to fix these problems by turning all javascript and OLE switches off -
and I might add, never double clicking OE or IE.
feds: "When are you going to take care of these virus problems?"
MS: "Viruses are not our fault, prosecute the lawbreakers."

In today's Business section (Seattle):
"Goodby, Mr. Bill Gates?
Japan, South Korea and China
discuss working to promote Linux"
"But the Redmond-based company
said 'consumers and market forces,
not government preferences, should
determine software selection...'"

8 out of 10 here support MS's agenda, and it shows in the numbers.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC