Old November 24th 05, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Uncle Peter

Default Question on RFI and tube vs newer rigs

From: "gil"
Subject: Question on RFI and tube vs newer rigs
Date: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:07 PM

"Transmitter shielding "....you mean the case being properly grounded
right?

Couple of nights ago I was working CW on my old HW-101 @ 50 watts and
not only did my wife hear it over the phone but the person she was
speaking to as well! We dont have this problem over the wireless.

Thanks all for the input

Gil

Gil

More than that, the meters were often screened, and the AC line
cords had RF filters as well. This was mostly to reduce harmonic
radiation from the cabinet, which could be carried "common mode"
on the outside of the coaxial shield, or on the power cord.

Phone interference is overload related, and has nothing to do
with the quality of the transmitted signal. The phone is overly
sensitive to strong RF fields, regardless of their spectral
purity. As Chuck noted: some simple filters on the phone line
should help the problem.

Pete