Old November 24th 05, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Bill

Default Question on RFI and tube vs newer rigs

gil wrote:

This is not just about the phone, I guess I used the phone as one
example, but I was most concerned whether
an all tube rig would create more RFI problems overall than a solid
state rig.

Thanks......Gil

You seem to have a classic example of the RFI issue but I don't think
you can attribute it specifically to tube or solid-state technology
inasmuch as you can attribute it to the tighter rf packaging of more
modern rigs. Nothing about tubes per se makes them more prone to problems.

That said, while RF shielding integrity of a commercial xmtr/xcvr has
generally improved over the years, the RF integrity of consumer devices,
and that includes telephones, has gone down the tubes (no pun intended)
since Nixon went to China!

A poorly shielded xmtr in the ring with a cheap offshore home electronic
device is a guaranteed KO for both of them.

-Bill