Old November 24th 05, 06:20 PM posted to de.sci.electronics,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin

Default "Standard parts" for rf amps?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:05:42 -0800, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in message
OK Jim -

I simulated your question in a first trial. Here is the result:
approx. 70MegHz resonance for 100pF, 30mOhm ESR and 5nH for the trace.
Surely I would prefer smd chips having better results.

But that wasn't the question. THe question was to simulate a 1000 pf (1 nf)
capacitor at 150 MHz. with an inch of lead or an inch of normal pcb trace
and tell me what you get.

The question is unclear. Any component must have a return path, either
when you measure it or when you use it in a circuit. The entire loop
determines the "lead" inductance. If I solder an axial cap, with 1" of
extra leads, onto the end of a hunk of coax, and analyze it with a VNA
or TDR, I can bend the cap leads into various fat/flat loops and push
the L all over the place.

John