Old July 16th 03, 05:05 AM
Dana Myers K6JQ

VHFRadioBuff wrote:
If you have a lot of time, then cobble stuff together.
Otherwise, write a check and buy an APRS-integrated radio
like a Kenwood TM-D700A. Just remember it's not suitable for
ordinary connected-mode packet cause of a blatant bug, but it's
a fine APRS radio.

Hmm.. just looked at that.. $520?

Yeah. Figure the price of a 1200/9600 baud TNC and a dual-band
mobile and it's not a bad deal. Never mind the fact it's
pre-assembled and functional when you get it. You only really
have to make the cable from the GPS receiver to the TM-D700A.

Alternatively, the TH-D7 might be just the ticket.

That's a bit more than I wanted to spend. I
already have a KPC-3. I figured I could use that and buy a used 2m radio,
probably for less than $100. The interface for a stand alone GPS unit is too
complicated?

Not really. It's just kinda cool not to have a bunch of stuff cobbled
together in the car, the reliability is probably much better for the
more integrated unit. You can use the D700 while it's also running
APRS and so on.

A TH-D7 is an HT version and might be a better deal if you just
want to broadcast your location and speed all the time.

Dana K6JQ