Old November 26th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default is voltage balun right choice?

RB wrote:

I've recently put up a 140' dipole fed with ladderline. My tuner is
separate from my rig, and is an unbalanced unit. So, I use a balun on the
tuner output to hook the ladderline to.

I've been told that I should have a voltage balun in this application. I
was surprised to hear this, as I expected to hear use a current balun.

Is the voltage balun the right one for this application?

Only if you want your feedline currents to be unbalanced.
Your antenna is a lot like the one described on my web
page below that uses a 1:1 choke-current-balun and needs
no conventional tuner, the most efficient configuration
I could come up with. As can be seen from the current
maximum point graph on my web page, ~100 feet is a good
compromise length for the ladder-line for such an antenna.

A lot of hams will tell you to throw up a random length of
ladder-line and feed it through a 4:1 voltage balun. That's
usually not good advice and often results in a poor balun
function on one or more bands. If one doesn't know approximately
what impedance is being seen by the balun, one cannot predict if
it will function or not. The free version of EZNEC can predict
the approximate impedance seen by the balun. www.eznec.com
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp/notuner.htm