Old December 27th 04, 11:15 PM
John Steffes

Thanks for all the input. We found a suspect resistor in the B+, just at
the filter capacitor. It's a 1500 ohm, 10 watt unit that now measures
1400 ohms. We'll try a higher value (say 1800 ohms) based on the
"revised" house line input voltage to bring the overall voltage down a tad.

John

KE0GG

K3HVG wrote:
I'll second that! I've found that, given a house line voltage of from
120-127 volts, many of my older receivers used to get very hot. I
installed a 7A Variac on the line dedicated to the BA'a and set it for
110v. No more problems.. at all.

Another problem

is today's higher line voltages. Most of these old radios are designed
for 115 or 117 volts and when operated on 123-125 volts the B+ will be
15 or 20 volts higher than normal (115 VAC operation).
Best Regards,

Ed