Old November 27th 05, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Scott

Default Got Lucky on Six meters w/Fan Dipole

50 Mhz is around the 3rd harmonic of 18 MHz, so you basically have a 1.5
wavelength dipole for 50 MHz. Since the 3rd harmonic is normally about
54 MHz, I suspect all the other dipoles are affecting it slightly and
the rig likes it. Sounds like a good benefit from those "interfering"
dipoles

Scott
N0EDV

Dick, AA5VU wrote:

I picked up a new (to me) TS-570S(G) so I can start working six meters.
I do not have a dedicated six meter antenna so I decided to try my Fan
dipole. It was a 40/80 W9INN dipole that I modified for 18 MHz and 10
MHz by adding two sets of wires. I tried it on 50.125 and rig loves it.
I can get full power with whisper of SWR that the TS-570S can easily
handle.

The SWR on 51 and 52 MHz is not that good; however, the auto-tuner makes
the 570 smile. I am not really concerned as I plan operate mostly at
50 MHz.

Something tells me the 18 MHz wires are semi-resonant at 50 MHz
and I got lucky.

73, Dick AA5VU