Old July 17th 03, 09:46 PM
Dana Myers K6JQ

Nosko S. wrote:
Dana,
I don't need to know, but what's the bug just for my information?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D1

Basically, the D700A TNC never sends an ack to an I-frame unless
the I-frame has the Poll bit set. What this means is that the
vast majority of other TNCs (as far as I can tell) will consistently
send MAXFRAME number of frames to the D700, then time-out waiting
for an ack, re-send the frames and set the Poll bit. It positively
kills performance when using the D700 in connected mode to most
BBSes and such.

The problem does not appear when talkign to other D7/D700s, since
the D700 *always* sets the Poll bit on every frame and does not
implement a deferred ack timer at all. This is less than optimal
as well.

Of course, if you run in KISS mode and use a host-implemented
AX.25 stack, this problem is avoided.

Since the D700 is really focused on APRS which is implemented
using UI frames (datagrams), it's apparently not a critical issue.

Dana Myers K6JQ wrote in message
s.com...

... Just remember it's not suitable for
ordinary connected-mode packet cause of a blatant bug, but it's
a fine APRS radio.

Dana K6JQ