Old November 28th 05, 05:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default LF Engineering H800 Skymatch

Thanks Axelrod for the link to the review and thanks Steve for your
impressions of the H-800. Since LF Electronics seems to tailor a lot
of their products toward lowfer and MW BCB listeners, I had thought
that it might well be the case that the H800 would exhibit better
performance in the lower frequencies than the higher frequencies of the
SW spectrum. Since my interest is primarily in HF, it seems that,
although it might offer some improvement in the 120 and 90 meter bands,
the H800 likely would not offer significantly improved reception over
the AOR WL500 antenna I already have (unless we're talking about
outdoor mounting of the H800 away from a noisy indoor environment).

The WL500 is a nicely made antenna; nice performance across the SW
spectrum. Easy to set up and decent on battery consumption, too.
Unfortunate that AOR discontinued this fine product.

Junius

wrote:
The H-800 is a great little antenna. I have one. It will work just fine
with an SW77 or comparable portable, so long as the receiver in
question has a reasonably good attenuator. In my experience, the H-800
is dynamite on MW and up to around 5 mhz. It's good from 5 mhz up to
around 15 mhz, and it's performance gradually tapers off from there. At
any rate, this is how I remember it...I haven't used the H-800 very
much since switching over to a Wellbrook loop. It's a very good value,
though. Doesn't get the attention it deserves, in my opinion.

Steve