Old November 29th 05, 07:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Kelley

Default Antenna reception theory

Cecil Moore wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:

But do you agree that it's not impossible for an E field to exist
without an H field?

Depends upon the context. I suspect he was talking within the
context of RF EM waves?

That's certainly a context where an E field is always accompanied by an
H field. But the statement as it was written is nevertheless untrue.
That was my only point.

Is it possible for an RF E-field to
exist without an RF H-field?

Seems to beg an obvious answer. But the question brings up a point that
people seem to be missing here. An E field is an E field - there are not
different 'kinds' of E fields. The field itself is the same, whether it
varies in time or not. A non-zero dE/dt allows for some of the more
interesting properties to have non-zero solutions, but the fields
themselves are not unique. I hope that concept isn't too controversial
for this group. If it is, I will strive to keep such ideas to myself in
the future.

ac6xg