Old November 30th 05, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Amos Keag

Default Mobile 2m/70cm antenna

There is something wrong in your setup or installation.

I use the Larsen dual band with great success!!

Do you have pinched coax? Do you have a broken coax connector? How is
the coax run from outside to inside?

Can you give us some details?

Rod Maupin wrote:

I recently bought a Larsen 2m/70cm NMO mag-mount mobile antenna for my
truck. It's the first time I've ever owned a mobile antenna because I don't
do that much driving (I work from home). I don't have a mobile radio in the
truck, I just have an HT.

What I wanted to do was hook up my Icom W32A to the mobile antenna when I'm
in the truck. So, I put the mag-mount on the middle of the pickup roof and
started driving. I compared the mobile Larsen antenna to my Diamond RH77CA
HT antenna. What I noticed is that with the Diamond antenna on the HT
inside the truck, it consistently pulls in more signal (on both bands) than
the Larsen mobile outside the truck. The Diamond antenna is of course an HT
antenna, so it's optimized for HT use.

Is this normal behavior for a mobile antenna hooked up to an HT? If it's
not normal, then this is not that great of a mobile antenna.

Rod KI7CQ