Old December 1st 05, 07:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Bill

Default getting bit by my FT-101EE chassis

Ron wrote:

and neutral tied together your main fuse will blow. I sure would like to
know what certain wiring failure modes could energize the chassis ?
Ground is Ground period.

No, not really.
You're thinking like an electrician saying the chassis is energized.
That can happen too in a failure mode but the original poster's gist was
that he got that normal low ma bite that one gets when one creates
different ground points as opposed to a common ground.

The answer here is to tie the grounds together as short as possible. Of
course the OP is going to get a tingle when his rig is 'grounded' only
via the AC with inherent leakage of caps/yadda/yadda versus his external
antenna/trailer ground. Thats normal.

Sorry to belabour but this has been addressed in most every electronic
publication since electricity was 'invented'.

I could ground all my stuff to the hilt but you would have to pay me to
pound a separate ground rod and lick my fingers and put my hand between
the rig and the new rod. Ground ISNT ground unless they are at the same
potential.

If OP wants a no-bite situation he should visualize the ground path via
his coax versus the radio ground via the trailer AC wiring. Until the
two are essentially the same a difference in potential exists.

-Bill