Old December 1st 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

Default using a model

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:00:44 -0800, dansawyeror
wrote:

Where can I learn about the difference in ground characteristics between 75m and 2m?

Hi Dan,

Reggie's method of measuring earth conductivity in a coaxial tube
would work in these very short wavelengths (at HF it would be a joke
due to the necessity to survey to many meters of depth beneath the
system and out beyond it).

Aside from that, you would have to scrounge the web for references;
and they are actually quite numerous, but exceedingly tedious to sift
through. Basically, perform a search on soil characteristics for
ground penetrating RADAR. There is a lot of work that starts in VHF.
From this you might anticipate most references are very military in
nature. The problem of the sift is that many of these studies are
vertical niche research and may discard the paths of your interest.

Another method would be to reverse engineer it and find the soil
characteristics by discovery. That is model your construction, and
measure it both and compare results. The difference would probably be
the soil characteristic if you pay close attention to the details of
modeling and construction both. [By modeling, I mean in software.]

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC