Old December 2nd 05, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Joel Kolstad

Default Radio Shack and my education

Hi Roy,

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
One of the reasons this is the only choice we have is that in times past,
there were stores which did pay the employees enough to get people who
understood the products. People would go in, get their questions answered,
then go to the Wal-Marts and Radio Shacks to buy the item because it was
cheaper there.

What, have you been talking to the guys at HRO again at how people will come
in and get technical advice for an hour and then go home and order on-line
again or something? :-)

Seriously, your point is well taken, although I'd suggest that all the product
reviews you get from, e.g., Amazon.Com can actually be more useful than the
information you'd get from a salesperson. There's no inherent bias (to want
to sell you something), and you get to see comments from people with a wide
range of background. (It's always kinda amusing to see people trash, say,
some classical technical book when the real problem is that they're just not
well enough educated yet to appreciate what they're reading!)