Old December 3rd 05, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default My vertical blew down!!!

wrote:
It seems that my location boasts 60 to 110 mph winds on a regular
basis. I had put up a 1/4 wavelength 20m vertical with 1/8 wavelength
radials elevated at 7 feet, with rope guys... and the wind blew it
apart like so much tin foil!

I use 2x(2"x4"s) fastened together for a 4"x4" support and 1/4WL
wire radials as ground-plane/guy-wires. The vertical section is
assembled from 6' telescoping aluminum sections following the beam
element design guidelines in the ARRL Antenna Book. The top 8.5'
is a stainless steel CB whip. It has withstood wind gusts of about
100 mph. As others have said, copper is a poor choice for a 20m
vertical.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp