Old December 3rd 05, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Paul Burridge

Default Short coax interconnections - phase implications??

Hello guys,

I recently picked up an old vector network analyser in working order
but minus the 3 interconnects between it and the
transmission/reflection bridge. These are specified in the manual to
be exactly 24" long, 50 ohms and terminated by N-type plugs.
I've been told the length of these patch leads is quite critical to
getting accurate measurements with this VNA, but am at a loss to work
out why 24" is specified when the frequency range of this device is
4Mhz to 1300Mhz. If it were only capable of measuring at one fixed
frequency, I could understand the need for a specifically cut length
of some fraction of a wavelength.
Can anyone explain the relevance of 24" in this context?
Also, will *any* 50 ohm coax suffice for this purpose or has it got to
be something special?
Thanks,
P.
--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd" - William Blake