Old December 3rd 05, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint

Default Techs in Novice HF - ARS License Numbers

wrote in message
ups.com...
Bill Sohl wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Since April 15, 2000, FCC has renewed all existing
Technician Plus licenses as Technician. It is therefore
informative to consider the totals of the two classes,
since the Technician class includes a significant
number of Technician Plus licenses renewed as
Technician.

The interesting aspect of the renewed Tech+ as
simply Techs is that from that 4/15/00 date onward there
really is no way for anyone to know if a particular tech
operating in the Novice segments of HF is actually
authorised to do so since the FCC database doesn't
record the prior tech+ status, nor does it reflect
if/when a tech may have obtained a 5wpm CSCE
certificate after 4/15/00.

Hmmm - are you sure the database doesn't show the
previous license class, Bill?

The database does show the previous license class. I just looked up my
brother, a Tech Plus, who just renewed. The ULS data now shows Tech with
the previous license class listed as Tech Plus.

However if they passed the Element 1 after 4/15/05, it won't show.

[snip]

Seems to me that FCC expects that active hams who are Techs should
simply get
a General or Extra. If the NPRM is enacted, Techs who are not code
tested will have to get a General or Extra to get any HF at all.

Actually the NPRM clearly states that very thing. And they refer to it as
taking a relatively simple written test, or words to that effect, to upgrade
to General.

As far as I can see, the FCC in all the various historical changes has never
wanted people to remain at the introductory license even when the changes
were poorly implemented. It has always looked like their goal was to get
people to expand their knowledge/skills and move up in license class.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE