Old December 4th 05, 04:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default IEEE study on twisted pair.

On 4 Dec 2005 08:23:25 -0800, wrote:

David wrote:
On 3 Dec 2005 19:10:06 -0800,
wrote:

David wrote:

The R-390A has a Twinax RF Input.
-------------------------------------
And the R-390 also has the Twinax input.

I have had much better sucess feeding it with coax.

There is a simple mod to allow an unbalanced connection
that is maybe 10dB more sensitive.

Terry

I used a CATV BalUn for mine. Note: The Unbalanced input bypasses the
preselector.

A friend uses this scheme:http://www.r390a.com/html/feedpoint.html

I use a 7 turn primary to 10 turn, CT to ground, secondary.
I tried many different combinaitons and this appears to give the best
overall response.

The difference is minimal.

I own a R-391, synchro motor drive, and my friend has a R-390A.
In side by side tests it is difficult to impossible to tell which
recever is active.

It is cool enough to use the R-390 and my cats love to sleep on top of
the
receiver.

Terry

I sold mine when I moved into SoCal Edison area at 14 cents a KWH.
Was fun in HL&P country at 6 cents a KWH. Also had the Dual IF
version of theRacal RA-17, quite possibly a better receiver than the
R-39X series.