Old December 6th 05, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default One experience with noise

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:14:22 GMT, Cecil Moore wrote:

A couple of days ago, my power failed right in the middle of a
football game. I just happen to have a 12v deep discharge battery
and a 12v B&W TV. I plugged it in, extended the two-foot telescoping
antenna and, wonders of wonders, I was receiving a very good vhf
TV signal from about 40 miles away. The game went on and after
awhile the power came back on. That good TV picture simultaneously
disappeared along with the sound. There may be a lesson there somewhere.

I don't think you were telling us that the battery went flat at that
moment, so...

Don't you have digital television? Best thing since sliced bread.

I don't know if you can receive analog television beyond the digital
coverage ranges, but you probably wouldn't want to watch it.

Digital TV makes weak signals most watchable, DVD quality at weak
signals.

I use it and I am only 4km from the transmitter, but that is another
situation where it works a treat, ghost free pictures close to the
tranmitter in the presence of local reflections (hills, water towers
etc).

Owen