Old December 9th 05, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

Default The factor of 2

Roy,

My program requires antenna gains relative to isotropic to be entered.
To help discover where I was going wrong a numerical type program was
needed. Numerical programs do not need the intervention of fallible
human ideas about isotropes, mirror images and ground reflections.

I did not realise that EZNEC has the ability to calculate voltages and
currents induced in elements miles away from the radiating element.

But having the correct answer, I still have a problem. Praps you can
help me to solve it.

Staying with the same example of -

Frequency = 20 MHz.
Tx power = 1000 watts.
Distance = 1 kilometre.
Rx antenna height = 1 metre.
Rx antenna Rin = 1.944 ohms, including wire resistance.
Rx antenna -jXin is not needed.
Field strength = 300 millivolts per metre.

According to You, Terman and other Bibles, Volts induced in the 1
metre high antenna = 300 millivolts.

So we have a generator with open-circuit volts of 300 mV, with an
internal resistance of 1.944 ohms, with an Rx load resistance also of
1.944 ohms (which is in excellent agreement with EZNEC).

From which, power generated in the receiver = 11.6 milliwatts

BUT THIS IS SIX DB GREATER THAN THAT CALCULATED BY EZNEC.

From other considerations, and taking EZNEC's small errors into
account, it is EXACTLY 6.02 dB too large.

THE CALCULATION WOULD BE CORRECT IF THE VOLTAGE INDUCED IN THE
RECEIVING ANTENNA WAS EXACTLY HALF OF THE FIELD STRENGTH.

OR THE FIELD STRENGTH FROM THE 1KW TRANSMITTER WAS EXACTLY HALF OF THE
BIBLICAL VALUE OF 300 mV.

Where or how is the above calculation going wrong? A factor of 2 is
involved somewhere.

Thanks for your time and patience.
----
Reg, G4FGQ.