Old October 7th 03, 02:31 PM
Android Cat

Markus L wrote:
Thomas Parkison wrote:
I am thinking about moving abroad and would like to set up an
internet connection from a VERY remote location. Is it possible to
do it via shortwave radio?

Depends what you mean by internet connection.
Mail access is possible using one of these systems:
http://www.winlink.org/ (ham radio operators only)
http://www.sailmail.com/
http://www.kielradio.de/

To expand on that, Internet connection via HF amateur radio is possible,
but not for any kind of web surfing or high bandwidth activity. Email and
some Usenet would be about the limit. And even for email, you'd better
have good spam filters. One 155k "Microsoft Security Update" would ruin
your whole week.

Text web access with Lynx _might_ work, except that many pages don't
support text-only any more. Imagine surfing at 300 bps, then add packet
overhead. No encryption, so you might have some security problems too.

How remote is "VERY"? Using a higher frequency will allow higher bps
rates, but with shorter range. *IF* there are digipeaters anywhere close,
you might be able to get a faster connection, but with more hops.

Heh, I remember when VHF packet was four times faster than normal landline
modems.

--
Ron Sharp.
I just booted a 23 year old friend: