Old December 10th 05, 12:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Charlie

Default Coax recomendations

Sounds like a flawed test setup. Davis bury flex gets rave reviews (except
for yours) all over the net and on-the -air.
I have over 450ft of the stuff and it's super. I see no effects from
coiling or bending....

Sorry you're having a difficult time...
--

Charlie

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Charlie wrote:
I would recommend you take a look at Davis RF "BuryFlex" 9914. It is
very nearly the exact same loss per 100ft (within a couple tenths of a
db) as LMR400 and/or 9913. It can be directly buried in the soil with no
other provisions needed. It has an abrasion resistant non-contaminating
jacket that has a warranted 20 year service life. It is also quite
affordable at about $.60/ft. It is very flexible and indeed is fine even
as rotator loops. I use it on all bands I run from HF thru 6M and 2M. It
uses standard UHF or N connectors as well. Loss per 100ft at 400MHZ is
2.9db

Check it out here....

1. http://www.davisrf.com/ham1/coax.htm#buryflex

I've got some of that which I purchased new, and did some extensive tests
on it with a network analyzer. The loss varies all over the map depending
on how you coil, bend, or flex the cable, and I never saw loss anywhere
near as low as the spec says. A typical value at 400 MHz was more like 5 -
5.5 dB/100 ft. Glad you're happy with it.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL