Old December 11th 05, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

Default Coax recomendations

Charlie wrote:
I have emailed Davis RF and asked them to send me their test results. Yes
it will be interesting.

Roy..doesn't seem a bit odd that NO ONE ELSE in over 10 years of BuryFlex
production has cited these same alarming "test results".

No. My experience is that the vast majority of amateurs don't have the
ability and/or confidence and/or interest and/or equipment to make good
measurements. And lacking the ability to measure it, very few would be
able to discern the difference in loss. If my measurements are typical,
commercial and government users (if there indeed are any for this
particular cable type) would quietly reject the stuff on incoming
inspection and order something else.

I do have a high degree of confidence that my measurements are accurate.
I took a lot of care in characterizing the cable before using it for
making remote antenna impedance measurements in the course of a
consulting job. But it's entirely possible that the particular piece of
cable I have is defective. That would just point to a quality control
problem rather than overzealous specsmanship.

In your query of Davis, I hope you asked them if they routinely test
production batches for loss, and if so how often and when the last test
was run. It's possible that something in their process changed
relatively recently.

If no other reader of this newsgroup has some of this cable and the
ability to test it, I'll see if I can arrange for someone else to make
measurements and post results.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL