Old December 11th 05, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy

Default Coax recomendations

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:46:15 -0600, "Charlie"
wrote:

Owen it is NOT brand loyalty. It is the publicly published data by RF Davis
(for the past 10+ years) vs. Roy's one-shot test setup some years ago. I'm
not out to discredit Roy...I even shook his hand once at a Hamfest.

We should be a little suspicious of manufacturers claims. Davis' can
be expected to support their product.

Roy's single poor experience is concerning, indicating either a
quality control issue, or more general non-compliance with spec (both
are issues for Davis). An independent test of stock cable and possibly
Roy's sample would be most interesting.

I know I have made measurements and adjustments at times and in
searching for possible explanations, the cable quality is on the
radar. In one of those cases, a mobile installation could not be
trimmed properly, and the Taiwanese RG58 centre conductor was so far
off centre, it was nearly touching the braid.

We have all cut cables up and found inconsistent braid weave, open
braid weave, voids in the dielectric, faulty stranding of inner
conductor, off centre centre conductors. It is those kind of issues
that downgrade a suppliers reputation, not their ability to select a
good cable sample for laboratory measurement.

Perhaps if you're a whiz, you should perform some measurements so you
can report first hand your experience.

We don't see the Davis stuff on this side of the world. The concept
seems a good one, PE sheath, braid+foil outer, foam dielectric,
stranded inner, but you have to ask yourself why they haven't
displaced Heliax and its copies. I suspect the reasons include IM and
noise issues associated with the braid+foil, mechanical issues with
the foam, and resistance to water. Experience with noise and IM
problems with braid+foil coax in fixed installations makes me wonder
how it stands up in a rigorous test of flexing for a rotator loop, not
anecdotal evidence, but a structured test.

Owen