Old December 10th 05, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default More Real Estate Follies

KØHB wrote:

Being a CW operator, quite frankly I'm happy about the flexibility that gives
me. But it's a mystery to me why all modes aren't treated in this generous
manner, and why other CW operators seem so firmly opposed to the
Canadian/European "market forces" model of frequency sharing.

Has to do with the compatibility of modes, Hans. Not all modes share
bandspace equally well. Not all operators follow the bandplans, either.

From what I read, the folks in Region 1 are already beginning to

notice problems being caused by the "market forces" (loudest
signal wins) model of frequency "sharing". A lot of Region 1
hams aren't so happy with how it's working out in real life.

---

One reason for the separation of 'phone and Morse/digital is to
maximize the
utilization of the available bandwidth.

Say you have a band like 80/75 meters. 500 kHz of bandspace.

If we allow 2.5 kHz for each SSB QSO and 250 Hz for each CW/digital
QSO, (average)
it's clear that the band could theoretically support 200 simultaneous
SSB QSOs or
2000 simultaneous CW/digital QSOs. Allowing all modes everywhere
rewards
the modes that use the most bandwidth at the expense of those that use
the least.

---

Perhaps the biggest fear many have is the "one way" nature of a lot of
FCC rules changes. Suppose we do go to "all bands everywhere/voluntary
bandplans"
and the result is a messy nightmare of QRM. Will FCC reimpose the old
rules?
Very doubtful, given the history of the past 20-30 years.

73 de Jim, N2EY