Old December 11th 05, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Radio Receiver

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:55:26 GMT, m II wrote:

At the Goodwill store this afternoon,among some other thingys I bought,I
bought a Pioneer Stereo Receiver SX-690 ($5.00) (on the rear panel of
the receiver,it says Pioneer Stereo Receiver Model NO.SX-690

.................................................. .................................................. ............
I bought 6 stereo receivers last summer at yard sales. Two of them
were perfect and the others had problems but were sort of working. The
most common problems we one of the final amps blown, a blown fet in
the fm rf amp, scratchy controls, and intermittent capacitors. The main
reason people got rid of them was updating to new digital equipment and
they had been in use since the 70s. As far as I know, Pioneer made
pretty good stuff and you might get lucky. There were so many of them
around, I didnt bother to fix them (average cost=$2). I would make sure
the speakers were working and not shorted and hook them up, power up
and hope for the best. Some of these receivers had poor AM sections and
you might have to play with an antenna. Many people want the latest and
best and throw out perfecly good analog equipment that still produce
cheerful sounds. I still use casettes and they sound pretty good to me.

I just picked up a boat anchor of a cassette player for five bucks. it's
a Pioneer FT 9191 and sounds great. All the controls work, no dirty
pots, etc..It was a good day.It's the heaviest cassette player I've ever
held.

http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer...tf9191.jpg.jpg

I have a half baked theory that if you don't know anything about the
quality of an old receiver/tuner etc., use the WEIGHT as an indicator.

So far so good..

mike

They made them big so GIs could use them to smuglle contraband out of
Vietnam.