Old December 13th 05, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dale Parfitt

Default To RHF, et al. Re Loops

wrote in message
oups.com...
The loops respond to the magnetic portion of the wave, while most noise
is electrical.

In most loop applications, they are much shorter than a wavelength. At
least for shortwave.

I reread the original post and am convinced the poster is referring to a
horizontal wire loop of large dimanesions- i.e. not fractional wavelength.
I personally have a homebrew 7' shielded loop with wideband preamp on a
short tower some 200' from my home- if the noise source is not in the near
field, these antennas have no noise advantage except in the null directions.
See:
http://www.w8ji.com/magnetic_receiving_loops.htm

Dale W4OP