Old December 13th 05, 09:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HF radar

Of course the $1k price tag stops me from buying it too. There are
cheaper digitizers out there. However, look at a National Instruments
ADC card in that range and a grand sounds cheap.

In the dark ages before such items could be bought at all, we hooked up
an ADC with a few storage registers and a mux to feed the data in
parallel to a logic analyser, which in turn acted like the frame
buffer, then took the data off the logic analyser over the GPIB port.

http://www.octave.org/
I'll give this a shot.

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Interesting. Is there a canned program to take an autocorrelation of a
wav file?

I use Matlab. It is a general purpose math tool. A lot of
people use it to prototype DSP algorithms. There is
a student version for $150. It is good enough.
There is also an open source, free program called Octave
that tries to be compatible with Matlab. Matlab programs
can generally be ported to Octave with more or less work.

I noticed the signal was wide, so I used the 9.5Khz filter,
though clearly that isn't enough if the signal is 30Khz wide. BTW, it
has an interesting sound with FM demod.

I suppose if I had the ability to digitize at a higher bandwidth, I
could sample my 455Khz IF output and get the whole sweep.

Yeah, the IF is centered at 455 kHz and has a certain width.
30 kHz wouldn't surprise me.

the VCO around a bit and couldn't find a center of the signal.

The center is half way between the top and the bottom.
It is a sweep. So it doesn't have a central carrier.

I've been looking at various high speed digitizers for use as a
pan-adapter. This is the most interesting of the bunch:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0014.html

Wow, cool. I wish I had $1000 to spare.
One could do a lot of cool things with that.

--
rb